„People who think well, write well.“
That’s how David Ogilvy thought about writing in 1982.
I tend to agree.
But good writing is not a natural gift.
You have to learn to write well.
Here are a 7 hints on How to write better:
- Write the way you talk. Naturally.
- Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs
- Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, etc. You’ll sound like a jerk.
- Never write more than two pages on any subject
- Never publish or post something on the day you write it. Read it out loud the next day – and then edit it.
- Before you send a message to someone, make sure it is crystal clear what you want the recipient to do.
- If you want ACTION, don’t write. Writing is asynchronous. Go talk to people.
I encourage you to write down this list in your own words. Do it every time you’re trying to write something and just can’t find the right words or angle.