Flux 1.24 is out this month with couple of updates and Important notices. Let’s get around what are the updates in the new release. But, first, let’s do a quick intro on Flux.
What is Flux?
Flux is a tool that checks to see if the status of a cluster matches the git configuration. It does not require a separate CD tool because it leverages an operator in the cluster to trigger deployments within Kubernetes. It keeps an eye on all important image repositories, identifies new images, initiates deployments, and modifies the desired running configuration accordingly (and a configurable policy).
Even if it has a large number of applications, Flux is most beneficial when used at the conclusion of a Continuous Delivery pipeline as a deployment mechanism. Your new container images and configuration changes will be distributed to the cluster by Flux.
Important Notice: Flux v1 is in maintenance mode
If you’re on version 1 of Flux, you are encouraged to transition to Flux v2 or begin planning your migration. File any issues to the repository if migrations are prevented or if you’re getting stuck. The community is actively supporting the migration.
What is the significance of this Migration?
Flux would invest in the future of GitOps by completely re-architecting thier tooling, resulting in Better observability, Ease of integrating Composability and Extensibility.
The progress is well underway, and in terms of Flux read-only mode and Helm Operator capabilities, v2 is already on par with v1. (And there’s already a lot more capability in Flux v1 and friends, such multiple repository support, health assessment of deployed workloads, structured logging, events, and alerts.)
- Skip AWS Metadata API pre-flight check when regions are passed via config fluxcd/flux#3485
- Reset sync errors on successful sync fluxcd/flux#3156
Maintenance and documentation
- Update kubernetes go client (@ 0.21.3), update Golang to 1.16.7, other go mod updates fluxcd/flux#3538
- Bump go.mozilla.org/sops/v3 from 3.6.1 to 3.7.1 fluxcd/flux#3514
- Upgrade base image to alpine-3.14.1 fluxcd/flux#3532
- Update CI pipelines to test on Kubernetes 1.22.0 fluxcd/flux#3530
- Add GitHub issue template fluxcd/flux#3527
- Update links to calendar and resources fluxcd/flux#3534
- Update youtube playlist fluxcd/flux#3531
Thanks for Reading
Thanks for visiting us and keeping yourself updated with the latest updates from the CNCF ecosystem. If you’re into reading more about Cloud Native tools, feel free to go through our posts!
Also, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter, where we talk about updates on the tools, deep dives on powerful cloud native tools and aspirations/philosophy every week. To Install Flux v1.24.0 visit here.